The Exiles welcome anyone who wants to learn our system of European Martial Arts and we operate an open-door policy, regardless of skill level, knowledge, race, gender, etc. However at this time, the group can only welcome members over the age of 16 for insurance reasons.
The group consists of Certified Instructors and a team of senior students which work together to provide training to all levels of member from complete beginner to advanced.
New members can expect to learn at their own pace in structured
classes in a friendly non-competitive atmosphere. All members follow a very comprehensive regime of training and we
supply insurance cover.
Group members are broken down into 8 levels of development and work through each level via structured lessons and focused individual objectives.
We currently have training available in several different
- Barking, East London, UK on Wednesday Evenings
- Bromley, South London, UK on Wednesday Evenings
- Canvey Island, Essex, UK on Sunday Mornings
- Carlisle, Cumbria, UK on Monday Evenings
- Galway, Eire on Wednesday Evenings
- Kew, West London, UK on Wednesday Evenings
- Milford, Connecticut, USA on Tuesday Evenings
- Milford, Connecticut, USA on Thursday Evenings
- Milford, Connecticut, USA on Sunday Afternoons
- Reading, Berkshire, UK on Sunday Mornings
- Reyleigh, Essex, UK on Wednesday Evenings
- Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK on Tuesday Evenings
- Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK on Thursday Evenings
- Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK on Sunday Afternoons
When you come to your first session you willl be given an overview of the group's curriculum, meet members and experience training first hand.
After the initial free session there is a charge for training and, although we will supply loan equipment, there is a minimum group equipment list which members need to progressively purchase to enable safe practice. The equipment is not provided for directly by the group but is available from recommended sources and new students are given a checklist of equipment together with advice and guidance. As with any Martial Art, especially those involving weapons, safety is paramount.
The training is based on the teachings of Fiore dei Liberi (c
1410). The whole system covers:
- Unarmed v Dagger
- Dagger v Dagger
- Dagger v Sword
- Sword used one-handed
- Sword used
- Half Swording
- Pole Arms
system is integrated, (so, for example, unarmed techniques working
within the sword techniques).
We follow a level grading system within the curriculum,
see the published Primoris book for our first level.
Classes rotate each week so we can cover all the elements in our system with focus and intensity. Below are two typical lesson plans:
For a typical Unarmed based lesson:
For a typical Sword Based Lesson
If you are interested in finding out more then please click here for the contact page.